• Qk0upyqfezomud-100
    ...expect warm Italian hospitality and hearty northern Italian fare at Centro Ristorante Italiano in South Melbourne. Try the h Full Review
  • 3g7wynetrdlnx0-100
    The rabbit is fleshy and the pieces, of varying fat content, are carefully cooked. (Smith sources his rabbit from a Swan Hill s Full Review
  • Zaixrfw5ehbdo0-100
    After many years in South Melbourne, Centro has a loyal clientele of regulars. A three-course meal at this warmly decorated, no Full Review
  • Demeeum5imyypi-100
    It’s a quaint Italian restaurant with a cosy atmosphere inside. It’s not normal for us, but we couldn’t decide which entree to get so we ordered two! I think it’s a must order when they say on their menu that it’s a signature dish, and how can you say no to anything with crab?? CALAMARI AL PEPERONCINO Our signature dish of fine strips of... Full Review
  • Jv15cricaawftj-100
    Favourite
    At last-our favourite restaurant in Melbourne! It had been 7 months or so since dining here with the birth of our baby boy-and we brought him along for the ride. We were sad to hear Rosa was no longer working here,but Sara did a fantastic job of looking after us and our baby boy as well! The service here is great. Well after so long we just had to start with the ol favourite the calamari and it didn't disappoint-it was spot on, lots of fresh herbs,nice bread crumbs and that perfect hint of chilli-delicious!!
    Mains of Eye fillet and Osso bucco and finished with the Tiramisu and we were in heaven! I can't believe how consistently good this place is. Lovely warm caring staff. Great chefs in the kitchen. Bonus is-byo wine!!
    We will return as often as we can! Can't recommend highly enough!!!
    fusseyeater
    Likes it
    We have been going to Centro for MANY MANY years over 25. This is one place where you get everything. The food is GREAT, the staff are great, the service is great. The menu has a lot of things that are always a hit. Calamari is fantastic, the mushrooms are a must, Don't forget the soufflé amazing. Enjoy :)
    Likes it
    Amazing food, great service , will definitely be going again , lovely restaurant
    Highly recommend!
    Favourite
    This place is amazing, constantly great service and the staff are lovely. Food is delicious and the servings are generous, plus they cater for anyone on a gluten free diet. A bit on the pricey side, but totally worth it. Highly recommend.
  • Hykl0opfpt7pjx-100
    Mobile review
    Fantastic food, great service, knowledgable staff and overall A++++... Chocolate soufflé was phenomenal
    special
    Favourite
    I've been here probably a dozen times over the past 10 years and each time has been a delight. relaxing atmosphere, clean dining room, lovely staff. and the food is fresh, original and cooked perfectly. each time I'm treated to a different delicious surprise and I look forward to continuing my patronage. highly recomended
    2 out of 2 found this review helpful
    Tzeni
    Had a great meal there with friends for lunch yesterday. We had 3 different meals and they were all enjoyable.
    Friendly great service. Will be going back again very soon.
    Likes it
    Delish! Loved the white bait fritters with basil mayo!! Nom nom :) and waiting staff were on the ball!
    Favourite
    So many restaurants like to think they serve great food, these guys are the real deal. Salmon dish was amazing. Service was impeccable. Might seem pricey but worth every penny for the fine dinning experience.
    Classic Italian
    Favourite
    A real gem! Thanks to a friend who organised a catch up with old mates. Fabulous food indeed. I have the fish and chips and boy! the flatheads were so so fresh. I highly recommend to folks who want to enjoy a great italian meal with nice fresh ambience and fabulous service.
  • Hlsrwzcxfu5ud4-100
    Delicious food in Sth Melbourne
    Likes it
    One of the things that makes Melbourne the most European of Australian cities is its vibrant restaurant scene. Sure every Capital city has its top-notch high-end restaurants, as indeed does Melbourne in profusion.
    But what I think distinguishes Melbourne is the abundant choice we in Melbourne have of the next level down - reasonably priced restaurants offering really very good food of many and varied different styles and ethnic origins.
    I would take a guess and say that if you drew a circle around Melbourne CBD with a radius of say, 8kms there would be possibly several hundred restaurants where you can get a good meal at a reasonable price.
    This of course means that competition is high and that the very ordinary rarely prosper and last the distance. Of course that isn't always true, take for example most of the restaurants on Lygon Street.
    Centro Ristorante Italiano, I am glad to say, falls into the former category; good food good value. Glad for two reasons. First, because it has always been a favourite of ours and the previous time I was there about 6 months ago with some clients it was "ordinary". Fortunately, that must have been an aberration because on our most recent visit it was back to its best. Second, it is BYO and (also) not too far from where we live.
    Centro is a fine example of what makes Melbourne such a foodies delight. A really pleasurable dining experience.
    So, if you like good Italian food (in this case mostly Northern Italian) it is definitely worth a visit. I suggest you book first as it is very popular, particularly at weekends.
  • S
    Big breakfast, big smiles.
    Likes it
    The best big breakfast in recent memory. Poached eggs were cooked to perfection and the mushrooms were a stand out. Would definitely recommend to my friends and will be back again for sure.
  • I76urm14gqje0k-100
    Could be the best mushrooms in Melbourne.
    It's no great surprise to me that Centro has a 90% positive score at this time. Went there for breakfast yesterday, and it was amazing! The highlight of my meal (the omelette) was surprisingly the cornbread - I've never had cornbread this light and tasty (the omelete was of course tasty too!) My partner thought the mushrooms in his meal (the name escapes me, but think bacon, eggs, tomatos, spinach, mushys and toast) were some of the best he'd tasted anywhere (might have to agree!)
    I think that breakfast is new to Centro, but it's a great way to spend a weekend morning, grab a table outside, people watch some of the interesting folk and their cute dogs wandering past doing their market shopping and have a great coffee. Oh, and the $$$ price tag? I don't feel like that applies to breakfast. Two big meals came in under $50 including coffees.
  • Uufaeuyjfnjsmy-100
    Mobile review
    A constant favourite, always enjoyable, great relaxed service and faithful Italian fare. The opportunity for BYO is unique especially with the proximity to a Dan's in the next block. A refreshing choice in the ever increasing trend for no booking policies and long waits for tables. Highly recommended and a regular choice of dining for me.
    Likes it
    We were knocked out by the food, it was wonderful. Bruschetta with eggplant and goats cheese, and heirloom tomatoes and basil was delicious. Dad had lamb brains pan fried in brown butter, and if you like that sort of thing then it is highly recommended. All three of us had the calamari for main and it was amazing. The let-down of the night was the drunken crowd of affluent drunken middle-aged men at the next table who made so much noise that we could not hold a conversation. The staff did nothing about it which was very disappointing.
    Mobile review
    I think that out of all the resturants ive been too i still think maccas is the best. This was an outstanding effort they had a good price fantastic food and excellant service! Well done
    0 out of 2 found this review helpful
  • A17b1d4v2v2wmi-100
    Doesn't like it
    Mediocre service, slow kitchen so our sides came late and tasted from nothing. Prices are on the upper side for what it is....one time is enough.
    0 out of 3 found this review helpful